Monday, August 3, 2015

#RPGaDay2015 - 3rd - Favorite New Game

It's August 2015, and to follow on with the success of last year's #RPGaDay event, David Chapman at Autocratik has created a new list. Each day in August, I'll be posting my "answer" to that day's topic.

Today's post—favorite new game of the last 12 months—was harder than it should have been. I was overthinking really. Is it new or new to me? Do setting count, since they're not a game in and of themselves? I've decided to just write about what I've liked the most this last year.

Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition is my favorite edition of the game. Previously, my answer would have been 2nd Edition, but 5th Edition is just that good. I love having most of the character abilities rolled back into the classes. I love the simplicity of the inspiration die and advantage/disadvantage. I'm not a fan of Forgotten Realms, but that's just made me want to re-visit setting design, maybe even try a hexcrawl. For the first time in 15 years, I have no complaints about the holy trilogy of gaming: Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Monster Manual.

Many settings released this last year for my favorite RPG, Savage Worlds. Two of them stand out for me: East Texas University (ETU) and The Last Parsec. You can look to yesterday's post and find why ETU is one of this year's favorites, but The Last Parsec, I'll explain here.

The Last Parsec is Shane Hensley's love letter to Star Frontiers. Why is that a big deal? The very first game I GMed was not D&D; it was Star Frontiers. As a kid, I was a much bigger fan of Sci-Fi than I was fantasy, especially Star Trek. I was all about exploring strange new worlds. I remember the Yazirian felt like something between a Klingon and a Wookie to me. I used one as my GM character for that game. The Last Parsec works seamlessly with the Core Rules and the Science Fiction Companion, and Shane & Company certainly captured the feel of my belovedStar Frontiers.

No comments:

Post a Comment