Tuesday, August 11, 2015

#RPGaDay2015 - 11th - Favorite RPG Writer

It's August 2015, and to follow on with the success of last year's #RPGaDay event, David Chapman at Autocratik has created a new list. Each day in August, I'll be posting my "answer" to that day's topic.

This is the toughest question of the month. I had to actually have a conversation with my wife about this one. I started out with five names, and at the end of the conversation, I was only able to narrow it down to three: Shane Hensley, Steve Kenson, and Harley Stroh.

Shane created two of my all-time favorite RPG things, Savage Worlds and Deadlands. He also did a great version of Lankhmar and worked on my favorite D&D setting, Dark Sun, back in the days of TSR. If Shane writes it, I'll buy it.

Steve Kenson wrote what was arguably the first true "next generation" D20 System game, in Mutants & Masterminds. It was also the first supers RPG to rival the classic Champions. More recently he wrote my current favorite supers RPG, Icons.

Harley Stroh is a beautiful, sick and twisted, genius. As one of the key writers for the Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG, his adventures are consistently the most interesting and entertaining, even to read, let alone run or play. Check out Peril on the Purple Planet, it's pretty great stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment