Thursday, January 7, 2010

Cortex is Not a Savage Worlds Clone

Last year, I decided I would run a regular game that wasn't Savage Worlds in 2010. Sounds simple enough (why would an experienced GM need to make that kind of resolution?), but it is in fact a tough thing. You see, I've tried it before. I've read other games, run one-shots. But for multiple reasons, I've always fallen back to Savage Worlds--at least since 2005. One reason is my group, especially my wife, is really into Savage Worlds. The system's comfortable to us and Savage Worlds is really versatile. Also, with my busy life its tough to gain a familiarity with a system like the one I have with Savage Worlds. But for my sanity as a "system guy," I have to do it. So I publicly declared I would (see, I did it again--damn!).

On my search, I decided I wanted to look at modern games. I looked at White Wolf's World of Darkness and decided it was too much fluffy reading to find both the rules and the point of the game. I thought about adding the core rules in with Second Sight, but I got frustrated in trying to find the mechanics plainly explained--did I mention I was spoiled by Savage Worlds? I thought about going with something like Hunter, then I realized I'd be going through over 300 pages of Second Sight-like reading, plus a re-read of the World of Darkness corebook (200+ pages), and thought better of it. Don't get me wrong. I like White Wolf. I think their products are cool. But I just don't have the time and patience to act as a GM, at least the way I'd want to, with their rules. But Hunter did intrigue me, so I at least had a lead.

Enter the Supernatural RPG from Margaret Weis Productions--sort of. I should go back a bit. Last year at Origins I grabbed a copy of the Cortex rulebook--because I was intrigued that it came with a PDF download code--and promptly tossed it on my RPG shelf when I got home. I even downloaded the PDF and promptly tossed it on my RPG thumb drive (nearly eight gigs of gaming goodness). A couple weeks ago, I opened the book for what was basically the first time (I did open it that one time to get the PDF code, ya know). It seemed pretty interesting, but I wanted something all-in-one. Then, enter the Supernatural RPG--really.

Another aside: I should mention there's a special relationship between those who love the Cortex System (which powers Supernatural) and those who love Savage Worlds. The basic belief is that one copied the other. On the surface, I can see where this comes from, and since Savage Worlds came first, I get it. There are some similarities, too: Cortex uses die types for Attributes and Skills just like Savage Worlds. Savage Worlds has Edges and Hindrances, and Cortex has Assets and Complications (they even both use "minor" and "major" descriptors, at least for the negative Hindrances and Complications--at least in the Serenity iteration of Cortex). Savage Worlds has bennies; Cortex has Plot Points (a name that will initially confuse the hell out of a Savage--it did me, at least). When the Serenity RPG came out, I bought it immediately (sort of--it sold out so fast I ended up with a second printing). Then I flipped through it and saw the die types and major and minor Complications. Then I went to the Pinnacle forums and saw them compared. My group ended up running a Savage Firefly game in lieu of Serenity, and the Serenity book sat on my shelf.

I can't say whether there was any copying going on or not. I've been told they are just close because of their core mechanic. Cortex's came from Sovereign Stone, and Savage Worlds' came from the Great Rail Wars (and before that Deadlands). I have been told Cortex's designer, Jamie Chambers, was a Deadlands fan. But to be honest none of this matters. The pen and paper RPG business is too small and too incestuous to pretend it matters. What matters is the results--good game or no?

Back to Supernatural (for real, this time). I picked it up because I thought I was cheating. I could pretend I was using a new system, but it was so much like Savage Worlds (I'd heard), it would be nothing to learn it and run it. Also, Supernatural was a self-contained, monster hunting game of just 180 pages. To run Hunter, I'd be going through 500+ pages of material. If I wanted to explain the setting, I could just have my players watch the show--we have DVDs of Cute Boys Hunt Monsters (my wife's name for the show) in my house. So I read the intro and game basics chapters of Supernatural and skipped character creation in favor of the play rules--I was all set to start comparing them to Savage Worlds. What a surprise I would find.

First off, the Complications (and the Assets, for that matter) weren't using "minor" and "major" like Savage Worlds' Hindrances. They were using die types instead. And in many cases they'll be rolled. Huh? That's different. It's a full roll up system, rather than Savage Worlds' roll and keep. There are Life Points (a really cool hit point system) instead of the tiered Wound system. Combat rounds are three seconds, not six. And Cortex didn't get any mechanics from miniatures games like Savage Worlds (the minis thing is a sticking point for me--I generally don't like using them), so you can just skip minis if you please. The biggest difference I found is in the way bonuses and penalties are assigned. Savage Worlds has bonuses and penalties to roll results. Cortex adjusts the die type up and down in steps (which reminds me of a rules-light version of Earthdawn's Step mechanic). There's also adjustable difficulty numbers. So die steps are applied to character conditions, and difficulty levels are assigned to environmental conditions.

The bottom line is Cortex is very different than Savage Worlds. And I like it. I've settled on it for my non-Savage regular game this year. Is it better? I don't know. I haven't played it yet. I'm running Supernatural next month at SAGA's Tucson RPG Guild meeting. I'm not running Supernatural at home though. Why, you say?

I found out that the Cortex System has done a ton of evolving. Serenity could be called Cortex 1.0, Battlestar Galactica could be dubbed 2.0. Supernatural and the Cortex book could be referred to as 2.5. This came up when I joined the Cortex forums. I was then contacted by Cam Banks, current Guy In Charge of Cortex. Cam comped me a PDF of the Big Damn Heroes Handbook (thanks, Cam!). This book is an add-on to the Serenity RPG and brings that game's system up to 2.5 with optional rules. It also goes a bit further with some new, indie-inspired mechanics for Cortex. I put it to my Facebook and Twitter friends I was torn between Serenity and Supernatural. Between some comments there and discussions with my wife, I've decided to go with Serenity, but thanks to my buddy, Berin "Unclebear" Kinsman, I may end up introducing aspects of Supernatural into the 'Verse.

I'll post more on my experience with Cortex as it comes up.

19 comments:

  1. Ron, would you like me to add this blog to the Savage Blogger's Network? I can grab the entire blog or just posts labeled "Savage Worlds."

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - I've also been tempted by WoD and Serenity for similar reasons. WoD left me feeling the same way, however. Story is fun to read, but not when I have limited time on my hands. Take me directly to the mechanics and I'll read the story later. I think I had the basics of WoD down, but in the end, Savage Worlds just feels more comfortable. That could be because I come from a D&D 3e background.

    With regards to Serenity, I liked the elaborated setting the book presented (better than spending hours in front of the TV taking notes), but I didn't think the mechanics were different enough from Savage Worlds to justify the cost of the entirety of the book. I could certainly take the character options and economy from it, but everything else was more than I needed. Out of curiosity, how did your Savage Firefly game turn out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kristian,

    This won't be a Savage blog, but if, looking at the above post, you think it applies, go ahead and add the posts labeled "Savage Worlds."

    And thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Savage Firefly game, which I did not GM, died after only a few sessions, but I think there was a failure to evoke the setting. It could have been any space game with the way it was run.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One thing to note is that the Cortex System evolved out of the original Sovereign Stone RPG -- which had its first Quickstart Rules published in 1998. Those mechanics were created by Lester Smith (who was credited on all Cortex System products during my time with MWP). So the basic mechanic of attribute die + skill die came there.

    I was familiar with Savage Worlds, the Great Rail Wars, and got to see Savage Worlds when it was shiny and new! (My wife, Renae, was a salesperson for Fast Forward and represented Pinnacle/Great White Games for a time.) I was certainly inspired by Shane's great work but it definitely had nothing to do with the core mechanics for any of the Cortex System games.

    Other inspirations included Alternity, Unisystem, and the Star Wars RPG (West End era). Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Jamie. I mentioned the Sovereign Stone core mechanic in the original post, but I totally missed the (now obvious) influence of Alternity. Alternity stands as one of my favorite games I never played.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, I went through the exact same revelation. Now I'm taking Cortex and delving in to all sorts of ideas: Mecha Roleplaying (personal scale stuff for personal stuff, vehicle scale for Mecha stuff). A Hellboy spinoff of Supernatural (hunting rpg except the PCs can be critters too). Using Cortex as a toolkit to make my own settings and games. Look at what folks have done w/ SW over the years. There's no good reason folks can't do this w/ Cortex!

    All sorts of stuff can be done and it's really "characterful" they way you can use traits and plot points to make anything more than "stock".

    Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed SW immensely. I'm just (evolving?) gravitating towards Cortex more and more.

    Cheers!
    JP

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would like to say that I resent the implication of game designers as "incestuous."

    No one has ever proven any blood relationship between Jamie Chambers and myself. Cam Banks maybe, but not Jamie. ;)

    Seriously, I would say if Savage Worlds had any "influence" on Cortex, it would only be as proof that the non-d20 RPG market was not only still viable but growing, and personally, it was awesome to see someone else jump in with such outstanding products.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cortex actually reads, to me, like what would happen if Cinematic Unisystem and Savage Worlds had a baby. Whether that was the intent or not, (and apparently it isn't) that's just my impression.

    I had read the Supernatural and Serenity books and weren't taken by them. I got Demon Hunters and I liked what I saw, except 1) the humor doesn't seem to work for me and 2) I can "get" everything except the point totals. A d8 costing 8 points is just a niggling little thing that seems needlessly complicated. The point is (assuming I have one) is that I do think I judged Cortex far too harshly initially. Also, at the time, I was probably a bit burned by being a Unisystem loyalist and would have rather seen Serenity fall into the hands of Eden. These days I'm pretty Savage, but way more open-minded. If I can't make myself get into Demon Hunters, I'll pick up Serenity or Supernatural at some point.

    Nice blog, Ron. Sorry to ramble on for no good reason...=)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the entry cost for Savage Worlds is still hard to beat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The entry cost to Savage Worlds is only less, technically. When factoring time or a setting, costs start to even out, at least at entry. Sure Necessary Evil is $20, but that's the exception. New settings are $35-40; then add the $10 for the corebook.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was comparing to the core Cortex rulebook rather than a complete setting and rules book like Serenity.

    If I wanted to adopt an adaptable system, the entry cost for Savage Worlds ($10) would be more compelling for new players than the entry cost for Cortex ($30).

    ReplyDelete
  13. My understanding is that Cortex's core book was only released due to fan demand. I doubt any setting they release will require the core book.

    Honestly, Savage Worlds and Cortex are obviously after two completely different slices of the market. Cortex seems no more designed to cut into the Savage Worlds market than Solomon Kane seems designed to cut into the licensed game market.

    My only purpose with my original entry was to dispel the myth that Cortex was somehow ripped off of Savage Worlds.

    As far as overall value goes, there's no truly honest way to compare the two on a general level. For instance, if I want to buy a most-purpose (all-purpose is a myth--another blog post there) system, Savage Worlds seems like the best gamble at $10, but if I want a modern monster hunting game with an established setting, I'd need to buy multiple books with Savage Worlds. And I would most certainly surpass the $40 price tag, and the 180 pages of reading, for Supernatural.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally agree, Ron.

    In addition, your first paragraph pretty much hits the nail on the head. Using a versatile system and adapting it to various settings is comfortable, familiar, and easy while also allowing players familiar with the mechanics to really leverage them.

    Additionally, that $10 is only an initial investment that is applied to any additional investment in setting, be it time or money. You don't spend an additional $10 for each setting.

    I'm not sure if I'm making any sense.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're making total sense Kristian. Great dialog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Here's a thought: What if Cortex was designed like nWoD? Core book, and then setting supplements and expanded options?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kristian: It's not a bad model, but my current design philosophy likes to start at Cortex's basics and then grow it to meet the license's requirements. You can probably play a Viper pilot in Supernatural or a hunter in Serenity, but as new licenses come up I think it's much better to bend the system to work. The corebook is as much for people to design their own homebrew Cortex games as it is an established standard for our rulebooks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I couldn't agree more. That's the same philosophy taken with Savage Worlds' settings. Adapt the rules for the setting rather than shoe-horn the setting into the rules. Sanity in Realms of Cthulhu might not work well as written for other settings, but an adaptation might work. Spirit rolls for Fear might be more appropriate for other settings than Guts. Even Hellfrost adapts the power system to one that doesn't depend on power points.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I totally understand where you are coming from, Mr. Blessing. As a father with two young children it is extremely tempting to just stick with reliable (and non prep intensive) Savage Worlds.
    I recently started a game (generally described as X-Files meets B.P.R.D.) and after (literally) years of trying to find the right system for it I settled on Cortex. Two sessions in and while I'm not wowed by the system it is doing everything that I want it to. I suspect that it will be my go to system for when I want something that is "generic" and not as cinematic in feeling as most Savage Worlds games.
    I also get frustrated by all the fluff in WW books.
    -Thaddeus

    ReplyDelete